Tuesday, September 16, 2014

My music history

Music all started for me back in the 6th grade. Actually, I was close never even being in band. Kids could decide if they wanted to learn an instrument in the 5th grade. I was interested but I didn't know what instrument I wanted to play. I waited too long and it was then too late to be in band by the time I was going to pick. All of that year I regretted hesitating and not signing up to be in band. I thought I wouldn't ever get to learn how to play an instrument in school
I moved to a different school the next year and we found out we could join band for the first time there! I was so excited to have another opportunity to be in band. I was still nervous to join when I knew nothing about music and other kids have been playing an instrument for a year. I thought “what if I can’t catch on as fast as they do?” I asked my parents what I should do and they said I should go for it if I want to do it. So I did. I ended up really liking band that year. Later in that same year I slowly taught myself how to play guitar.
I learned to love music and I really enjoyed playing in the band all through middle school and high school. My favorite part of band was marching season in high school. I marched the snare and tenor drums in my high school band career. My senior year I was drum captain. I got to make the calls and figure out cool ways to make the drum line a lot of fun. I had a blast. I got to drum upside down, teach sweet visuals for a drum off, pick out a great new cadence, and a lot of more great things. Senior year was my favorite year of school just because of band.

Most recently I am playing guitar and drums in a band. We meet every Thursday night at 5:30 to practice and then we preform 3 songs (2 new songs every week) that night at 6:30. When our music coordinator is out of town I usually take over practice. This band is really nice because it’s laid back and there isn’t any pressure. We are all familiar with what we do and how to make the piece of music sound good. It is easy, but it is still a great way to keep playing music with others every week. Playing music has been a huge part of my life.

3 comments:

  1. I am so amazed by people who can play guitar, I would never be able to learn how to do that. Reading your memory about marching in high school reminded me of all the prep rallies we had and watching the band march through our halls at the end of the day on Friday's. I am glad you had another opportunity to join band!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally wanted to join band but I did the same thing and waited too long, so I never joined! And it sounds like you just play songs as a band, you guys don't write your own?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah...guitar for the win. I was always more of the piano and keyboard kind of person but now just getting into playing a guitar. Not the easiest thing when you have big fingers.

    ReplyDelete