Tuesday, November 18, 2014

How to change guitar acoustic guitar strings

                I usually never change my guitar strings. I have been playing guitar for about 8 years now and I have only changed my guitar strings about 3 or 4 times. It is recommended to change them once a month or so. Some people change them once or twice a week, or like me, I went 5 years or so without changing a string on my guitar. It all depends on how much you play. If you play a lot, you want to change the strings more often. It all depends for different people. Classic signs of needing to change the strings are when the strings become rusted or a little discolored, when the guitar won’t stay in tune for long, and the guitar will sound duller as time passes. There are other factors involved in how long strings will last. Different strings last longer and there are products you can buy to make the strings last.
                In my last restringing, I put Dunlop Medium Light 80/20 Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings on my guitar. This is my first time using these strings, but I have heard they are pretty good. So now getting to the actual restringing, I start off on the low E string and work my way one by one, rather than taking all the strings off at one time. The first step is loosening the string by lowering the tone of the string, until you can take the string off of the head stock. Then you take the peg off of that string, so the entire string will come out of the guitar. That is the process of taking the old string off of the guitar.


                Next, is putting the new string on the guitar. Take the metal end of the string and put it in the peg hole. Put the peg in to hold the end of the string down and then take the string up to the head stock of the guitar (the skinny part, above the neck). For the four lowest strings you put the string through the small hole (from the middle to the outside). Then start tightening the string by turning the tuning keys until the string is in the right pitch. Make sure that the string is wrapping down the metal part, while putting pressure on the string. The string will stretch out automatically once it is on, so the pitch will drop until it is fully stretched. Everything is the same for replacing the two silver highest strings expect when you put the string through the whole of the metal part, above the neck of the guitar. You are going to want to make sure that the string first spins around above the hole, and then you are going to want to move it down to go below the hole as well, so the string won’t come loose and pop out. It is hard to understand unless you see the process done, but that is how you replace the strings on your guitar.

1 comment:

  1. Thats really cool that you have been playing guitar that long. I have always wanted to try it!

    ReplyDelete