Tuesday, November 4, 2014

My college music class

I went to meet with an adviser about the classes I need to take. He told me that I needed a humanities credit. He started giving me more information on what I could take for the credit. He mentioned music and I was suddenly very interested. I was planning to take a lot of credits to start off my first semester at Delta. Taking a music class would be easy for me because of my background and the years of having band in high school. I loved the idea of having a very easy class so I wouldn’t have to do much to get the credit I needed. I decided to take Elements of Music.
                The course is made to teach students how to understand basic music elements such as rhythm, meter, form, melody and harmony through seeing, hearing and performing musical examples. I have previously learned everything described in the class, before I took the class because of band. The only new information I learned is how to determine different key signatures in music. I knew what the key signature did to music and notes before the class, but I didn’t know how to identify key signatures and their names.
                We just had our exam in that class last Tuesday. I made sure I was prepared for the exam, but I didn’t have to put much effort in to studying because basic music is a second nature to me at this point. Our professor told us we were done learning for the semester. The second half of the class will be dedicated to composing 8 measures of a melody. We have practiced composing music for homework, and we have been assigned composing a melody in group work. I don’t think it will be too hard to come up with 8 measures of a melody.

                I did think that the class might have been harder than what it is on the first day. Each class, we sit in front of a piano to take notes. I thought for sure that we would learn how to read the music and to play it on the piano. Unfortunately, that is not the case because we have not done it yet and we are done with our learning session. I also thought that we would have to play our final composition, but the professor recently told us to just turn it in for him to grade. I am glad I can take an easy class that does not take much time to get the credit I need.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't even know Delta had classes like that! It's cool that maybe a difficult class for someone was easy for you. The class sounds fun and interesting though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got uber lucky with such an easy class. I am taking art 111 right now, and it's time consuming and hard at times, when I've drawn and painted my whole life.

    ReplyDelete