Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Instruments I want to learn

The top instrument I would like to learn to play really well would be piano. I know a little bit of it from band and playing mallet instruments, but there is a lot I need to learn to play it efficiently. I know what the notes are on the keyboard and I can already read music, but it stops at that. I don’t know the chords on the piano, and I cannot read the grand staff well yet. It takes me a long time to sight read something on the piano because I am not used to seeing that kind of music. I have no idea what the pedals do on the piano. My goal is to sit down and read piano music very well with sight reading, and eventually learning to play famous songs on the piano. I would like to play famous piano pieces from Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart eventually.

An instrument that I would like to learn from the brass section would either be the trumpet, trombone, or tuba. I have never even attempted playing a wind instrument at all, but I find it fascinating how brass players make different sounds from air. The tuba would be cool because of the very deep notes that the tuba produces. Tuba is usually the bass part of songs, which is a bit easier to read. Trombone would be good to learn because of the slide. The farther your arm is on the slide, the deeper pitch is made. It would be good to learn the different positions and how to produce the sound from what note you need to play. The trumpet is a higher pitched instrument. The trumpet reads harder and faster music, usually having the melody in some songs. The trumpet has three different valves that can produce different sounds with a combination of the valves.

I would want to learn the saxophone if I were to learn a woodwind instrument. The saxophone is a good instrument to learn because it has many keys. It uses a reed that will vibrate once you blow air into the instrument. The saxophone has a lot of cool parts in band that would be fun to play. It is hard to hear them in a full band, but they occasionally will have the melody.


There are many instruments I would love to sit down and learn, but I have lost some opportunities to learn some of the instruments. It would be hard to learn any band instruments because I would have to buy an instrument to practice on. It is also hard to find time to learn all the instruments. I do have a piano that I can learn on, but the challenge is finding time to sit down and learn the piano. I would love to learn these instruments if I was given the opportunity.

1 comment:

  1. I played the saxophone in grade school. It's a great instrument to play.

    ReplyDelete