Thursday, October 9, 2014

Most boring aspect of music

The most boring part of music is learning how to play it. It is very difficult to focus in class when you are in a band room with an instrument sitting in front of you. Naturally, you would want to pick the instrument up and start making noise with it. Unfortunately, the only way you will know how to play an instrument and read music is to understand what is written on a piece of music and what it means. There was a lot more I had to learn than what I thought starting out. As a 6th grader, I learned about different time signatures, key signatures, accidentals, note values, dynamics, and the list goes on and on. The only way you can learn about it is through boring lectures. Our teacher had to explain what all of these concepts of music meant and how we can use that information to play in the instruments.  The first part of learning music is learning the information and the second part is applying what you have learned.
 I hated the boring lectures before we know how to play. I think I would have rather taken a class on British History rather than learning about what a time signature will do to read the music. I was close to quitting band because I didn't like it so much. I was in a tough situation because I really wanted to be a good musician but it was so difficult for me to focus in class. The only thing that kept me going was watching the high school band perform. I wanted to be in that situation and I knew the only way I could was if I learned the boring part of music.
 Halfway through the year we learned enough to start playing the music on our instruments. Band got so much better when I could apply what I learned. I was actually enjoying band rather than dreading going to class every day. We played several pieces of music and eventually, with a lot of practice, put on a concert for our parents. I was so happy I was done with the boring part of music, and now I could finally play it. All the hours and exams of the lectures were worth it once I would practice what I learned. Now that I know how to read music and I know what everything means I enjoy playing new pieces of music and learning new instruments. I am surely glad I didn't quit band because  I was bored learning about music at first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment